Friday, May 20, 2016

Takeoff

Bags all packed. Final goodbyes have been said. Time to head off for the summer internship of a lifetime. So here I am in the air headed south to Memphis, TN. My dad sits next to me reading a book. As a frequent flyer traveling is second nature to him. Me, on the other hand, hasn't been aboard a plane since a spring break trip to Tampa while in the 8th grade. I didn't quite know how to react. It has been so long since I was on a plane I completely forgot what it was like. Flying had to at least be better than riding a rollercoaster. Otherwise I would've been freaking out during takeoff. Anyone who knows me well enough knows that I hate rollercoasters. Like really hate rollercoasters. Thankfully flying is ten times better than a rollercoaster.

Looking out the window I watched the state of New Jersey slowly become nothing but what one sees on Google Maps when you zoom all the way out on the satellite option. Not long after even that view disappeared and all I could see was clouds. Lots and lots of clouds. This was going to be my view for the next two hours. Now what to do to pass the time. Sticking in my earbuds, I put on some music while I decide.



I'll start by people watching. The man in front of me keeps looking back behind me. I can't tell if he's checking me out or just anxious about the flight. I'm assuming flights make him nervous. He does this for a good fifteen minutes before calming down and going to sleep. The woman across the aisle is reading a book. Cass and Steph would be happy to know that she was reading Me Before You. Looks like someone else loves Sam Claflin as much as those two do. The two girls behind me are excited to be on the plane. These were the same two little girls sitting near me as we waited to board the flight. One of them was wearing the cutest pair of pink cowboy books. If I could steal them I would. Then again I'm no longer five and they were that color pink that probably would've looked ridiculous on me. The flight attendants keep walking back and forth down the aisle. Each time they're pushing something or carrying something new. If this internship makes me realize I've been pursuing the wrong degree I could easily put flight attendant on my list of backup careers. It seems pretty simple.

My dad and I start having a conversation about life and the future. Typical parent-child conversation. Apparently we were talking quite loudly because the man diagonal from us keeps eavesdropping. i would too if I heard someone was going to be a research intern at the zoo. Soon my dad switches the conversation to states that we haven't yet traveled to. We took out the in flight magazine to look at a map and as we do so we come across a page listing species of spiders named after celebrities. I immediately take a picture of the page as it brings back memories of this past fall when I had to identify bugs for a class. Before I know it the plane begins to descend.

So here it is. The moment I've been waiting for since being offered this internship in March. I'm about to step foot into the city I'll be calling home for the next 12 weeks. My dreams of doing research in a zoo are becoming a reality. I couldn't be more excited. Soon I'll be unpacking my bags. Soon I'll be saying hello to this new adventure in my life.

UPDATE: I landed safely and am all settled into my new home. I've also made it through my first day at the internship. More information about it to come throughout the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment