Sunday, May 15, 2016

Goodbyes

The hardest part about spending a summer in a state where you know nothing is saying goodbye to the things you know everything about. Three years of living in the great state of Vermont has provided me with friends who I spend every day with and places where I adventure to at a moment's notice. I can't just let myself in to my friends' places with their spare key. I can't take a walk down to the waterfront to watch the most perfect sunsets I have ever seen. I can't take a drive down the road to the barn for some well deserved pony time. I can't show up to the library after class to surprise my friends at work.

I had this same feeling three years ago when I was leaving my life in New Jersey for the one I have now in Vermont. I was leaving the greatest friends I had ever made behind. I was leaving the barn I had called my second home since I was little. I was leaving the family that helped me grow up to become the person I am starting to today. My life was changing and it scared me. Somehow I got past the fear, made the move, and find myself never wanting to leave my new home.

So here I am in the same position moving to Tennessee for three months for an internship of a lifetime. I'm just as scared to make this move as I was when moving to Vermont, but unlike that time I know I'll be okay. The things I love aren't going away. While I'm off living a different life for a few weeks, they'll still be right where they are when I get back. The friends I have made will still be the same friends. The sunsets will still be just as purple. The horses will continue to live their lives as usual. Of course there will be changes. Some will be for the better and others for the worse. Life moves on and I just have to accept that. But the love I have for them will never go away.

I may be crying today but tomorrow my tears will be in the past. None of it will be goodbye for good, just goodbye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment